Second Language Programs
Click on the the language (above) to find out more.
For the first time in the NT, students who are in all Grade 12 French programs and Grade 8 French Immersion will have access to an internationally recognized testing process - the DELF.
Why Learn a Second Language?
There are all kinds of reasons to learn a second language in general, and French in particular. Let's start with the general reasons:
Knowing a second language can:
- Increase your child's personal pleasures such as the enjoyment of literature, art, music, theatre, travel and personal relationships
- Increase your child's understanding of and respect for other people and other cultures
- Help your child to understand more about himself, his country and his fellow Canadians
- Give your child access to a larger pool of information and to more educational and career opportunities
- Give your child a competitive edge in the job market anywhere in Canada and in many other countries.
The process of learning a second language can also:
- Develop your child's listening and learning skills as well as the self-discipline that are useful throughout life.
- Increase cognitive abilities, creating a more flexible thinker.
- Enhance his knowledge of his first language and improve his ability to communicate in it.
- Make learning a third or fourth language much easier