Second Language Programs
For the first time in the NT, students who are in all Grade 12 French programs and Grade 8 French Immersion will have access to an internationally recognized testing process - the DELF.
Why Learn a Second Language?
There are all kinds of reasons to learn a second language in general, and French in particular. Let's start with the general reasons:
Knowing a second language can:
- Increase your child's personal pleasures such as the enjoyment of literature, art, music, theatre, travel and personal relationships
- Increase your child's understanding of and respect for other people and other cultures
- Help your child to understand more about himself, his country and his fellow Canadians
- Give your child access to a larger pool of information and to more educational and career opportunities
- Give your child a competitive edge in the job market anywhere in Canada and in many other countries
The process of learning a second language can also:
- Develop your child's listening and learning skills as well as the self-discipline that are useful throughout life
- Increase cognitive abilities, creating a more flexible thinker
- Enhance his knowledge of his first language and improve his ability to communicate in it
- Make learning a third or fourth language much easier